Guide: The Best Over Bed Tables
Are you on bed rest due to illness, injury, or mobility issues? If so, you may benefit from an overbed table. Over bed tables can provide a sense of independence and a stable surface for eating, working, enjoying games, or watching movies. A bedside overbed table is an affordable and convenient piece of furniture to...
Are you on bed rest due to illness, injury, or mobility issues? If so, you may benefit from an overbed table. Over bed tables can provide a sense of independence and a stable surface for eating, working, enjoying games, or watching movies.
A bedside overbed table is an affordable and convenient piece of furniture to add to your bedroom. To help you find the best option for you, the industry experts at Patient Handling have prepared the ultimate guide to selecting the best over bed tables.
What is Over Bed Table?
An overbed table is a rectangular table positioned over the bed. Often present in care settings, overbed tables offer a stable surface to eat or perform other activities. Overbed tables are usually height adjustable and tiltable, and may have wheels to move the table when not in use.
Benefits of Using an Over the Bed Table
Overbed tables are a functional necessity in many hospitals, aged care facilities, and home care settings. Over the bed tables support those with a disability, the elderly, and recovering patients to manage limited physical strength and mobility. Additional benefits of using an over the bed adjustable table include:
- Patients can enjoy mess-free meals
- Provides a stable work surface for laptops
- The tilt-top surface can improve ergonomics
- Users can adjust the height and angle to suit their needs
- An over bed table on wheels is highly portable
Best uses of Over-the-Bed Tables
Many hospitals, nursing homes, and private care settings use over the bed tables to provide a comfortable and stable surface for eating. Some individuals enjoy the ergonomic positioning of an over the bed computer table to work or enjoy movies from a laptop or tablet computer. You can also use a table over bed to play games, read books, and write.
Although generally used as a table over beds, people recovering from surgery or with mobility issues also find it helpful to position these tables over recliners or wheelchairs.
Different Types of Tables
What should you look for when trying to find the best over the bed table for your needs? There are many different types of over the bed tables available. Overbed tables range in features, size, colour, shape, material, and cost. You should consider the following features before purchasing an over bed table Australia.
Fixed tabletop vs tilting overbed table
Over the bed tables vary in how the tabletop is secured to the frame. Fixed over the bed tables stay at a set level, and the height can be adjusted up and down. In contrast, the angle of a tilting overbed table can be adjusted to suit individual users.
The tilt feature typically ranges from zero to 45° and can increase comfort and functionality. However, some users may find that fixed over the bed tables offer more stability and support heavier loads.
Most over the bed tables are height adjustable, although the range varies. Ensure the table size is sufficient for the area you plan to use it. For example, whether you plan to use the table over bed, couch, or a wheelchair, look for a model with a wide range of mobility.
The majority of over the bed tables feature casters to easily move the table around the bed or to another room. Other overbed desk tables have fixed, non-slip feet that offer enhanced stability but must be lifted to move.
Size and style
The size of your over the bed table will depend on the amount of space you have available. Smaller units are more likely to fit within the room but may be less sturdy. In contrast, a larger table can accommodate more items and weight but may be too bulky for the bed and room.
Further, the style can vary between a standard medical-grade hospital option or a more aesthetic modern overbed table. In care settings, many overbed tables feature a plastic rectangular top with rounded edges to prevent injury. However, if you need more space to work, a longer rectangular overbed desk table with added storage may be more suitable.
Some of the best overbed tables include special features, such as:
- Cup or utensil holders
- Drawers, shelves, and slide-out trays
- Spill guards
- Outlets to charge devices
Types of Materials
Overbed tables are typically made from sturdy yet lightweight steel frames and plastic or timber laminate tops. Many modern overbed tables feature faux woodgrain laminate tabletops, which are stylish and easy to clean. An overbed table on wheels features casters where two to four are typically lockable to prevent unwanted movement.
Overall Best Overbed Table: Peak Over Bed Table with Split/ Tilt Top
Brand: Peak Care
- Split top design for tilting and fixed surface
- Contoured design for close positioning
- C-shaped powder-coated steel base
- Height adjustable from 67cm to 97cm
Representing the best of both worlds, the Peak Over Bed Table with Split/ Tilt Top is our top pick for an over the bed adjustable table. The table provides sturdy support for drinks and other items on the fixed section while enabling the user to tilt the rest of the table.
This is one of the best overbed tables for reading, writing, eating and other activities, featuring a functional contoured tabletop edge for easy positioning.
- Easy to clean laminated timber top with a split design
- Gas strut adjusts height with fingertip pressure
- The fixed section includes circular and rectangular indentations to place cups and other items
- The contoured edge enables close positioning
- At 95.9cm long, the table may be too large for some rooms
Best Adjustable Tilt: Peak Over Bed Table with Tilt
Brand: Peak Care
Table top tilts
- U-shape base with lockable swivel castors
- Height adjustable from 72cm to 112cm
This over bed table on wheels can be tilted to comfortably facilitate reading, writing, and watching movies on an electronic device. Suitable for higher bed frames, the Peak Over Bed Table can be lifted to 112cm tall.
- High quality, cheap overbed table
- Relatively lightweight at 7.2kg
- Larger weight capacity of 15kg
- Top tilts for reading and writing
- The laminated table top is easy to clean
- Lip on the tabletop holds reading material and prevents items from falling off
- No additional storage
Best Budget Over the Bed Tables: Days Tilting Over Bed Table
Brand: Days Healthcare
- Table top tilts
- Split-legged U-shape base for easy positioning
- Swivel castors
- Height adjustable from 61cm to 91cm
- Table size measures 61cm by 40cm
The Days Tilting Over Bed Table is ideal for reading a book or writing on the laminated faux teak table top.
Representing a cheap overbed table option, this high-quality unit has height-adjustable chrome plated and powder-coated steel legs.
- Very affordable
- The laminated teak table top is stylish and easy to clean
- Small rail prevents items from falling off
- Table top tilts
- Basic design without storage
Best Full Bed Table: Days Overbed Table
Brand: Days Healthcare
- Epoxy coated frame
- Recessed edge to prevent spills
- Wheels for movability
- Height adjustable between 71cm to 105cm
The Days Overbed Table features a fixed, easy-to-clean vinyl top. Reviews show customers appreciated the sturdy design and found this ideal to use as an over the bed computer table.
- High quality, cheap overbed table
- The vinyl tabletop is easy to clean
- A maximum height of 105cm is ideal for larger beds or taller individuals
- Some users may prefer a tilt top
Best for Eating: BetterLiving Overbed Table
- Fixed tabletop design
- Thermoformed top measuring 81cm by 45cm
- Four lockable swivel castors
- Spring-loaded height adjustment
- Height adjustable from 71.5cm to 110cm
This modern overbed table features a fixed thermoformed top for improved infection control. The raised edge helps prevent spills and items from falling. This over the bed table has a significant weight capacity that easily accommodates dining, and it is easy to wipe clean after use.
- Available in three stylish faux wood grain colours
- Stable surface for eating meals
- Easy to clean tabletop
- Simple to manoeuvre and adjust the height with spring-loaded struts
- The working load of 20kg is higher than most other models
- Weighing 12kg, the unit is heavier and less portable than some other models
How to Purchase Over the Bed Tables
Before purchasing over the bed tables for your home or care setting, measure the space available in your room and the height and width of your bed. If you are looking for an over bed table on wheels Australia, consider the available space around your bed, recliner, or couch.
You can choose several online and physical retailers to purchase an over bed table Australia. Understandably, you may find it challenging to decide on the best over the bed table due to the significant variations between different models. If this is the case or you want an expert option, you can contact the friendly team at Patient Handling to find the best overbed table to suit your needs.
Preferred Suppliers for the Healthcare Industry Since 2003
Patient Handling is founded on a sound base of great staff, great products and great partners. We strive to put our clients needs above all else and focus on well thought out solutions for complex needs.
Receive latest news
We are an online store only. Please contact us if you would like a product specialist to assist with your purchase.